Sunday, June 16, 2013

Zoo Run!

My friend Aimee asked me to do a 5K with her in May, and I was very hesitant to accept the invitation because I had never run more than 2 miles at once a 5K.  I thought that this would be good motivation for me to start running more often, so I said "Yes" but I was very nervous!  

The race was the Birmingham Zoo Run, and we had the BEST time!  We ran around and through the zoo... so cool to be running right by giraffes and flamingos! :)  Although as I was huffing and puffing past certain exhibits, the smell was not-so-rosy...

Here we are before the race

My cheerleader!
(along with her daddy)

The race was tough for me, and I thought I was going to have to stop several times, but Aimee kept saying, "We're almost finished!"  Since I have no concept of time or distance, I just kept thinking we were about to turn the corner and see the finish line, so I kept going!  

The best part was seeing Josh and Virginia cheering us on at the finish line!  So adorable.





We did pretty well... 24:52!  I didn't even pay the extra $5 to get the timing chip because I thought I'd be in last place! :)  I finished with Aimee, though, so I know that we were 7th/8th in our age group.  I was pretty proud because there were hundreds of people in this race! 

We were rewarded with cookie cake at the end.  
Although I took two bites and had to throw it away... 
Running + cookie = :-P 


This 5K was extra fun because when we were finished, we got to stroll around the zoo!  

Virginia loved seeing all the animals and spending time with her daddy.


Thanks again, Aimee, for convincing me to do this!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! Thank you for running with me!! Just noticed in the 4th picture- both of your feet are completely off the ground. You were airborne!! Go girl :)

    ReplyDelete